Encouragement

I have noticed that a lot of people I know are going through some rough times lately. It seems like almost every where you turn, someone is really sick with the flu (regular or H1N1) or some other kind of virus, facing financial hardships, carrying burdens for lost relatives and friends, or fill-in-the-blank. Through whatever we have to face, I know that we have a Heavenly Father who is watching over us, even when it seems like He is a million miles away.

I keep finding myself being reminded of the verse in the Bible that my Pastor shared with us back in the summer. Proverbs 18:10 says "The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe." Pastor Forsee went over several different names of God, and explained what each meant.

A few weeks later, Brother Walden did a similar study during a Wednesday night service. I took some notes on that one and thought I would share the notes with you. Remember, these are not my thoughts, these are from Brother Don Walden. Thanks again, Brother Walden, for sharing this with us. He started with the same verse Pastor Forsee used, from Proverbs.

Names of God
The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. Proverbs 18:10

1. Jehovah-jireh -- The LORD will provide.
See Genesis 22:13 and 14 -- the story of Abraham and Isaac on Mount Moriah where God provided a ram.

2. Jehovah-nissi -- The LORD is my banner.
See Exodus 17:15 and 16 -- Aaron and Hur holding up the arms of Moses as the Israelites fought Amalek.

3. Jehovah-shalom -- The LORD will send peace.
See Judges 6:24 -- When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon.

4. Jehovah-tsidkenu -- The LORD our righteousness.
See Jeremiah 23:6

5. Jehovah-shammah -- The LORD is there. Or The LORD is my companion.
See Ezekiel 48:35


I have read the Bible many times, but that verse from Proverbs has never jumped out at me like it has the past couple of months. Now, I am even noticing it in the words of songs that I hear on the radio. I think God is trying to remind me that He wants to be my Strong Tower, if I would just run to Him.

I hope this helped someone out there. It helped me as I was typing it. Remember, the LORD is there, He will send peace, and He will provide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinterest Recipe - Crockpot Italian Chicken

Candle Giveaway!